ARETE SCHOLARSHIP IN MEMORY OF KEVIN J. MORSCHING (ST. THOMAS MORE)
Arete Scholarship in Memory of Kevin J. Morsching
Kevin Morsching had a huge impact on hundreds of lives, and left a lasting impression on all whom he came in contact with. Many knew Kevin Morsching as an incredible athlete, particularly in baseball as he starred for Post 22, South Dakota State University and as a semipro pitcher for the Humboldt Crabs. But he was also a genuinely caring and compassionate person, as many people knew and can attest to. Kevin valued giving back to his family, friends, colleagues and community above any other and even after his passing, he continues to give and impact the lives of students. The Morsching family established the Arete Scholarship in Memory of Kevin J. Morsching in 2007 after Kevin's untimely passing with a generous donation from Liv Hospitality. One of Kevin's goals in life was to help mentor and support college students and student/athletes, and the Morsching family views this scholarship as a way of fulfilling his dreams.
The family and friends of Kevin J. Morsching wish to honor his memory by awarding a scholarship of $1,500 to two graduating seniors from St. Thomas More High School, Rapid City, SD. Kevin graduated from STM and exemplified the principle of arête.
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence (arête), if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." New Testament, Philippians, 4.8
- Graduating senior at St. Thomas More High School, Rapid City, SD
- Anticipating receipt of high school diploma at the time of application St. Thomas More High School
- Enrolled in a accredited, post-secondary educational institution
- Must be enrolled in at least 2 extracurricular activities (to include sports, school, community and/or church activities)
- Applicant's effort in academic work and activities, including school, employment, church and/or community. Class rank or GPA shall not be a primary criterion. Rather, the selection committee will give preference to students who have made a sincere effort to learn and to participate in and serve their community
- Whether the applicant demonstrates that they exemplify the qualities that Kevin J. Morsching exhibited
- The applicant's financial need, including other scholarships and assistance received or likely to be received
All applications are due no later than April 15th. All components of the scholarship, to include the recommendations, must be received by the deadline in order for the applicant to be considered for this opportunity.